Updated: December 24, 2019
Your privacy is a huge priority for me. At Serial Photog, I operate under a few fundamental principles:
Who Am I
Howdy! My name is Adam Thompson and I’m the guy behind Serial Photog. My goal is to share my photography and experiences with the world in any way I can. Rather it be through my blog, YouTube videos, or some other medium. I just enjoy sharing my work and what I do!
Below I explain how I collect, use and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Creative Commons Sharealike License
Information I Collect
I only collect information about you if I have a reason to do so-for example, to provide my Services, to communicate with you, or to make my Services better.
I collect information in two ways, if and when you provide information to me, and automatically through operating my Services. Let’s go over the information that I collect.
Information You Provide Me
It’s probably no surprise that I collect information that you provide to me. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how I use the information. Here are some examples:
- Communications With Me: You may provide me information when you respond to surveys, communicate with me via my contact forms, or by leaving a public comment on my blog.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from me, such as a print, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
Information I Collect Automatically
I also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, I collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preferences, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. I collect log information when you use my Services-for example when you read a blog post or submit a message on my contact form.
- Location Information: I may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. I collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit my Services from certain geographic regions.
Information I Collect From Other Sources
I may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you login to your Google or Facebook account to leave a comment on the blog, I will receive information from that service via the authorization procedures of that service. The information I receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
How and Why I Use Information
I use information about you as mentioned for the purposes listed below:
- To provide my Services;
- To further develop and improve my Services-for example by adding new features I think my users will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with my Services, which helps me improve my Services and make them easier to use;
- To better understand user retention and attrition-for example, I may analyze how many individuals read a blog article after promoting it via various different avenues;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with my Services, protect the security of my Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Serial Photog, Adam Thompson and others, which may result in me declining a transaction or use of my Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email;
- To personalize your experience using my Services, provide content recommendations, to target my marketing messages to groups of my users and to serve relevant advertisements; and
- To measure, gauge and improve the effectiveness of my advertising.
Legal Basis for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for the European Union about my legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that my use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill my commitments to you under my Terms of Service or other agreements with you; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- I have a legitimate interest in using your information-for example, to provide and update my Services, to improve my Services so that I can offer an even better user experience, to safeguard my Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of my advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with my Services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given me your consent.
I do not sell my users’ personal information.
I share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: I may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to me, or to provide their services to you. This group includes vendors that help me provide my Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow me to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, and postal and email delivery services that allow me to stay in contact with you), those that assist me with marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving my marketing campaigns), and those that help me understand and enhance my Services (like analytics service providers).
- Legal Requests: I may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: I may disclose information about you when I believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property rights of Serial Photog, Adam Thompson, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if I have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, I may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: I may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, I may share your information with third parties with which you authorize me to do so, such as the social media services that you connect through my Services.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: I may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is-you guessed it-disclosed publicly.
That means, of course, that information like your comments are available to others.
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share publicly.
How Long I Keep Information
I generally discard information about you when I no longer need the information for the purposes for which I collect and use it-which are described in the section above on How and Why I Use Information-and I am not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, I keep web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of my websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. I retain logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to the Serial Photog websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong with one of my Services.
While no online service is 100% secure, I work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring my Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the information that you provide: You have the choice to not provide me with information that I may request about you. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of my Services may not be accessible.
- Opt-out of electronic communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from me. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, I may still send you other messages, like legal notices.
- Set your browser to reject cookies: At this time, Serial Photog does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of my Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Serial Photog’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of Serial Photog’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading)!
Analytics Services Provided by Others
That’s it! Thanks for reading.