Last Updated: May 25, 2018
Your privacy is extremely important to me. I operate Serial Photog under a few basic principles:
- I will never ask you for your personal information unless it is truly required.
- The personal information that you share with me will never, under any circumstances, be shared with anyone except in the compliance of the law, to continue to develop my products, and to defend my rights.
- I do not store personal information on my servers unless it is absolutely necessary for the ongoing operation of the services that I provide.
- I make every effort possible to be completely transparent about what data I collect and how it is used.
If you have an questions about deleting or correcting your personal data please contact me.
Information I Collect
I only collect information about you if I have reason to do so-for example, to provide my services, to communicate to you, or to make my services better.
I collect information in two ways: if and when you provide information to me, and automatically through using my services.
Information You Provide Me
It's probably no surprise that I collect information that you provide me. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Communications With Me: You may provide me information when you respond to surveys, post a comment on this site or when you communicate with me via my contact page.
Information I Collect Automatically
There is also some information that is collected automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, I collect information that web browsers, mobile devices and servers typically make available, such as the type of browser, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. I collect log information when you use my services-for example, when you view or comment on a blog post.
- Squarespace Analytics: This website is hosted on the Squarespace platform and I have the Squarespace analytics feature activated. This is a feature of Squarespace that collects information about website requests to Serial Photog. I use this information to better understand website traffic and webpage use.
- Google Analytics: I use Google Analytics on Serial Photog. This is a service that transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. I use reports provided by Google Analytics to help me understand website traffic and webpage use.
How And Why I Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
I use information about you as mentioned above for the purposes listed below:
- To provide my services.
- To further develop and improve my services.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with my services, which helps me improve my services and make them easier to use.
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of my advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition.
- To monitor and prevent any problems with my services, protect the security of my services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and properties of myself and others.
- To communicate with you, for example through and email.
- To personalize your experience using my services, provide content recommendations, and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about my legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that my use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill my commitments to you under my Terms of Service or other agreements with you; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- I have a legitimate interest in using your information-for example, to provide and update my services, to improve my services so I can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard my services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve effectiveness of my advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent and problems with my services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given me your consent-for example before I place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on.
How I Share Information
I do not sell my users' private personal information.
I share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: I may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide theirs services to me, or to provide their services to you. This group includes vendors that help me provide my services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, postal and email delivery services that help me stay in touch with you), those that help me understand and enhance my services (like analytics providers).
- Legal Requests: I may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: I may disclose information about you when I believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of myself, third parties, or the public at large.
- With Your Consent: I may share and disclose information with your consent or at your discretion. For example, I may share your information with third parties with which you authorize me to do so.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: I may share information that has been aggregated or reasonable de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, I may publish aggregate statistics about the use of my services.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is-you guessed it-disclosed publicly.
That means, of course, that information like your username, comments, and other content you make public are all available to others.
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
Pleas keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long I Keep Information
I generally discard information about you when I no longer need the information for the purposes for which I collect and use it-which are described in the section above on How and Why I Use Information-and I am not legally required to continue to keep it.
While no online service is 100% secure, I work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring my services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks, and by hosting this website on a large, trusted infrastructure.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: You may limit the amount of optional information that you share with me.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: It is usually possible to set your webbrowser to block all cookies before using Serial Photog services, with the drawback that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (A.K.A. the "GDPR"), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to my use and process of your personal data;
- Request that I limit my use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
How to Reach Me
Other Things You Should Know
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- May 25, 2018: Added more specific information to help clarify my practices, and added information to reflect the requirements of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation.